Next Step Survey
The Next Step survey is conducted between March and June each year and reports are published in early October. More information on the Next Step survey including background, methodology and the questionnaire can be found here.
2016 Next Step Survey Results
Summary results of the 2016 Next Step survey are as follows:
- 40,100 participated in the survey representing a response rate of 78.7%
- the majority of Year 12 completers (86.8%) were studying or in paid employment at the time of the survey
- students undertaking a Bachelor Degree accounted for 39.7% of all Year 12 completers
- campus-based VET students were more likely to be studying at Certificate IV level or higher (6.9% of all Year 12 completers compared to 2.5% for Certificate III level and 2.7% for Certificate I-II level)
- employment-based training accounted for 8.8% of Year 12 completers, either in apprenticeships (6.3%) or traineeships (2.5%)
- of the 26.2% of young people transitioning directly to paid employment, 8.4% were working part-time and 17.8 were working full-time
- the remaining 39.4% of Year 12 completers did not enter post-school education or training, and were either employed (26.2%), seeking work (10.7%) or not in the labour force, education or training (2.4%)
- there were 3340 Year 12 completers (8.3% of all Year 12 completers) who had deferred a tertiary offer.
2016 Next Step report
Individual chapters of the report are also available for ease of manageability and reading:
Next Step Historical Reports
Click here to download historical Next Step reports from 2005 onwards.
^ Top of page
This page was last reviewed on 28 Feb 2017